This volume in the Help with Housing Costs series covers the rules for housing benefit for rent payments across the United Kingdom.
This new edition has been fully revised and updated to incorporate all the changes over the past year, including the April 2018 uprating. It provides answers to some of the most frequent problems and issues and explains all the new rules starting from April including:
- The basic conditions of entitlement to housing benefit and how to claim
- The treatment of rent and services charges for social rented housing
- The eligible rent rules for supported housing and certain older housing benefit claims
- The local housing allowance (LHA) rules for private renters
- The size criteria for all tenancy types including recent case law on the ‘bedroom tax’
- The rules about temporary absence and claims for housing benefit on two homes
- What happens when your circumstances change and how to appeal
- How income and capital is treated for pension age and working age claims
- How housing benefit is calculated including the rules about the benefits cap and exemptions
- How the ‘applicable amount’ is calculated including the two child limit
- The rules about housing benefit subsidy including temporary accommodation
- The gradual transition and transfer of working age housing benefit claims to universal credit.